Since its inception, Cartier has captivated designer jewelry lovers with their masterfully crafted, iconic creations. As one of the most coveted luxury jewelry brands, there are unfortunately countless counterfeit pieces of Cartier jewelry on the market.
While you will easily be able to tell that a $20 gold plated LOVE bracelet is a knock-off, some fakes are nearly identical to their authentic counterparts. As fine jewelry experts, we will show you how to spot fake Cartier jewelry.
How To Spot Fake Cartier Jewelry?
As one of the top luxury jewelry brands, Cartier ensures that all of their jewelry is expertly crafted and made with high quality materials. When it comes to spotting fake Cartier jewelry, even the smallest imperfection can mean that you are looking at a fake.
While the best way to accurately ascertain if your Cartier jewelry is real is to have an expert examine it, there are tell-tale signs to be aware of. Below are our top tips for spotting fake Cartier jewelry across collections:
- Genuine Cartier jewelry will be cleanly stamped with even spacing and correct spelling. The stamping can be found on the back of rings, bracelets, necklace clasps and earring posts.
- While the exact stamping for authentic Cartier jewelry can vary, modern jewelry will be stamped with Cartier’s logo, the jewelry’s metal type and a unique serial number.
- Cartier’s logo is always printed in their signature script, any other fonts or misspellings is a sign of counterfeits.
- Real Cartier jewelry will be stamped with its respective metal type such as Au 750 or 750 for 18k gold as well as Pt 950 or 950 for platinum.
- Bracelets and rings will be stamped with their respective size, such as 56 for rings as Cartier sizes their rings in millimeters.
- Engagement rings will be printed with their two-digit ring size, metal type, diamond carat weight, serial number and Cartier logo.
- Cartier only uses 18k gold and platinum in their jewelry, which will match up with its stamp.
- There should be no areas of discolorations or chips in the metal. Finding a differently colored metal beneath a top layer of is a sign of a fake.
How To Spot A Fake Cartier LOVE Bracelet?
Cartier’s gold LOVE bracelets are one of the most heavily counterfeited pieces of jewelry in the world. LOVE bracelets are available in many variations, including metal width size, pave diamonds and brilliant cut gemstones.
All of these variants make distinguishing the real deal from fake Cartier LOVE bracelets more difficult for the average buyer.
Tips On How To Spot Fake Cartier LOVE Bracelets
- Weight: As Cartier uses high quality materials in their jewelry, all LOVE bracelets will feel solid. Depending on the bracelet’s size, it should weigh between 30 to 38 grams.
- 2 Halves: Authentic Cartier LOVE bracelets are comprised of two halves which are held together by two screws. If a bracelet is one solid piece, it is fake.
- Printing: LOVE bracelets feature a screw motif, each motif will be perfectly stamped into the metal while counterfeits can have faint or misaligned printing.
- Gemstones: Select LOVE bracelets have their screw motif replaced with round brilliant gemstones.
- Screws: Two of the screws on the opposite sides of the bracelet must be removed with a screwdriver so that the wearer can place the bracelet on their wrist, then screw the two halves back together. However, new LOVE bracelets have their screws attached to the bracelet.
- Screwdriver: Cartier includes a small screwdriver with all of their Love bracelets which is plated in the bracelet’s respective metal (yellow gold, rose gold or white gold). The screws should easily turn with the screwdriver.
- Shape: Fake Cartier LOVE bracelets are often round, while real Love bracelets have an oval shape so they can rest close to the wearer’s pulse point.
- Serial Number: In addition to the standard stamping that all Cartier jewelry has, both halves of the LOVE bracelet will include the bracelet’s serial number and respective metal.
How To Spot Fake Cartier Boxes?
The boxes that Cartier jewelry comes in can help you tell if the jewelry is authentic, as counterfeit jewelry typically comes in fake Cartier boxes:
- Genuine Cartier inner jewelry boxes do not have their logo printed on the top of their boxes. Instead, their logo is printed in gold on the inside of the lid.
- Cartier outer presentation boxes have their logo printed on the top of the box.
- The interior of Cartier jewelry boxes will either be made with black satin or white fabric.
- LOVE bracelet boxes are specifically crafted to hold the bracelet and features a slot to accommodate its screwdriver.
- Modern Cartier boxes have push-release buttons on their front.
How To Buy Real Cartier Jewelry?
Now that you know how to spot fake Cartier jewelry, you may be looking to buy Cartier jewelry. To save you from hours of searching, myGemma is your online destination for pre-owned Cartier jewelry, authenticated by a team of experts.
How To Sell Cartier Jewelry?
Getting a final offer is just as easy. We will provide you with a free, fully insured, trackable and overnight shipping label. You can accept payment by check, wire or credit for Gemma.
There is no obligation to sell and we can always return your items to you for free. Our selling process has earned us an A+ BBB rating and hundreds of reviews. We also have appointments available in New York and London.