How To Clean Gold Jewelry
- What To Use To Clean Gold Jewelry
- How To Clean Gold Jewelry
- How To Clean Gold Jewelry With Precious Stones
- How To Clean Gold-Plated Jewelry
- Sell Diamond or Designer Gold Jewelry
What To Use To Clean Gold Jewelry?
- A cleaning solution made up of lukewarm water, not hot water, and dish soap. See other options below
- Soft brush or soft bristled toothbrush
- Polishing cloth or soft cloth, such as the brand Blitz
Real gold jewelry can safely be cleaned with a variety of household products such as:
- Mild dish soap mixed with water
- White vinegar
- Baking Soda & water
- Seltzer water
How To Clean Gold Jewelry?
- Soak the gold jewelry in a cleaning solution made up of lukewarm water and dish soap for about 10-15 minutes
- Gently scrub with a soft toothbrush and rinse under cold water
- Dry with a soft lint-free cloth then allow to air dry
- Seltzer water can be used in place of warm water because the bubbles help to lift off the dirt.
- Use plain toothpaste to get off tarnish if needed, not the gel, just plain paste.
How To Clean Gold Jewelry With Precious Stones?
- Diamonds, sapphires or rubies: If the gold has diamonds, sapphires or rubies set in it, it is also safe to use the above.
- Emeralds, opals or turquoise: Do not use anything except mild dish soap and water on jewelry set with emeralds, opals or turquoise etc because they are porous and can get ruined easily.
- Pearls: Pearls are even more delicate and should only be cleaned very gently with a make-up brush dipped in a little warm water mixed with a little gentle shampoo.
How To Clean Gold-Plated Jewelry?
Step By Step To Cleaning Gold-Plated Jewelry
1. Create Mixture
Combine warm or lukewarm water with some mild hand soap in a bowl and create a bubbly mixture. It is best to use soap with natural ingredients for this because it will be more gentle. You don’t need to buy any cleaning solution, simply use what you have at home.
2. Soak Jewelry
Add in your gold-plated jewelry and allow it to soak for somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. Soak each jewelry piece one at a time if in a small bowl to prevent any scratching.
3. Clean Jewelry
Use a soft-bristle toothbrush or small gentle, microfiber cloth to wipe down the jewelry, making sure to tackle any small areas. Once that is done, rinse the jewelry.
4. Dry & Buff
Very softly with a lint-free cloth, dry off the jewelry and very gently buff the surface of the piece to create a shiny finish.
What Is Gold-Plated Jewelry?
Gold-plated jewelry is sometimes referred to as gold vermeil. It is jewelry made from a metal other than gold, which is then coated with a layer of gold on the exterior. This type of jewelry is great for more statement jewelry as more intricate shapes can be made from harder metals. The design is then covered with gold plating for a high-end appearance.
How To Keep Gold-Plated Jewelry Clean?
In order to keep your gold-plated jewelry clean, make sure to keep it away from lotions and perfume. When you go to spray your perfume, keep it at a distance from your jewelry as this can accelerate any tarnishing. Another easy preventative measure you can take is to remove your jewelry before coming in contact with water, whether that’s a shower or a swim in the ocean.
How Often Should I Clean My Jewelry?
Ideally, people should clean their jewelry after each use. By this we don’t mean the full routine listed above, however just a wipe down with a damp cloth. Not everyone is going to be willing to wipe down their jewelry after every single wear, so just make a habit of doing it every few wears in that case. If you don’t feel confident cleaning your own jewelry, you can always seek out professional services to do it for you.
How To Sell Gold Jewelry
At myGemma, we specialize in buying diamond gold jewelry (with at least one diamond of 0.5ct or larger) and designer gold jewelry (Tiffany, Cartier, David Yurman etc). Our fast, free and secure process can take as little as 24 hours from beginning to end. We buy your luxury jewelry directly, with no middle-man, no online listings, no fees or commissions deducted from your final offer.
Established in 2012, myGemma is a leading buyer of luxury goods: diamond jewelry, designer jewelry, luxury watches and handbags. With an A+ BBB rating and over one thousand customer reviews, we pride ourselves on offering a trustworthy and transparent service.
How It Works:
- Click the button below with information on your diamond or designer jewelry, and one of our experts will be in touch with a price quote.
- Request free shipping and insurance to send your items to us, or schedule an appointment in NYC or the UK.
- Get a final price and get paid, or refuse our offer and your jewelry is returned free of charge.