As you look into selling your Kay jewelry, you may be wondering: How much is my Kay jewelry worth? How do I sell my Kay jewelry? Who will buy my Kay jewelry? The following steps will guide you in the process and provide answers to many of your questions:
1. Assessing The Value Of Your Kay Jewelry
There are a few key factors that will ultimately determine the value of your Kay jewelry item.
- Condition – Jewelry that is clean and intact will fetch a higher price than damaged pieces.
- Stones – Gems or diamonds on your jewelry will have a large impact on the value of your item. Any diamonds on your item will be assessed based on their clarity, color and carat weight. If you are unsure of the features of your diamond, a local jeweler will often be able to provide a free verbal appraisal with this information.
- Market Demand – The market conditions at the time of the sale will also greatly determine the price you will receive for your item. An item in high demand at the time of sale has greater worth than an item not greatly desired in the market.
2. Preparing For Sale
There are a few pieces of information about your Kay piece that you will need to collect. You will need to gather:
- A copy of the receipt
- A photo of the item
- The style name
This information will be important in order for your buyer to properly assess the value of your item and offer a competitive price.
3. Selling To myGemma
Once you are ready for sale, fill out the online form and a member of our team will be in contact with you shortly with a price quote. You can make an appointment in one of our New York office or send your item by mail. We provide free and fully insured shipping for customers to send their items in. Once our experts examine your piece, you will get a final price and receive payment.
How To Sell Kay Jewelry
Our process is streamlined to take as little as 24 hours from start to finish:
- Complete our online form
- Receive you price quote
- We can provide free, fully insured shipping to send your items in or schedule an appointment
- Get paid, or we return your items free of charge
If you prefer, you can setup an appointment to meet one of our experts in person.They will value your item and make you an offer to purchase. We have safe, modern offices on 5th Avenue New York and also hold appointments in Hong Kong, Tokyo and the UK.
Kay Jewelers History
Sol and Edmund Kaufmann, two Pennsylvania brothers, founded Kay Jewelers in 1916 in the corner of their father’s furniture store. Their store initially offered a wide array of items, from eyeglasses to kitchen appliances. By 1930, more than 30 Kay Jewelers stores had opened nationwide.
As the years progressed, the company made a name for itself selling a wide array of jewelry at affordable prices. Sterling Jewelers purchased Kay in 1990, and Kay has continued to remain a leader in the retail jewelry market today.
What Is My Kay Jewelry Worth?
As you begin the process of selling your Kay Jewelry, it’s important to understand the realities of today’s marketplace. High markups on diamond jewelry are commonplace throughout the diamond industry, especially from large retail jewelers such as Kays who have high marketing and overhead costs to cover. Because of steep markups, you will likely receive 20%-25% of the original retail price of your jewelry piece. Maintaining realistic expectations about the value of your item is important as you prepare for sale.