For some, the process can be overwhelming - especially because receiving an engagement ring is often a new and exciting experience, and may even be the most expensive piece of jewelry you own. Diamond expert and CEO of myGemma, Andrew Brown, shares the tips you can use to keep your ring looking beautiful while protecting it from the wear and tear of everyday life.
How To Take Care Of Your Engagement Ring?
1. Safe Storage
Where and how you store your engagement ring is fundamental to proper ring care.
Our top diamond ring storage tips:
- Keep a ring dish or box near high-moisture areas, such as a sink or shower. Having a dedicated area for storing your ring will keep it from getting wet over and over again.
- If you prefer to sleep without jewelry on, you can also keep a dish or box on your bedside table for safe storage.
- If you do remove your ring when you wash dishes or wash your hands at home, you should refrain from doing so in public so as to not accidentally leave it behind.
- Definitely do remove your engagement ring, diamond wedding ring or wedding band when applying moisturizer, as diamonds love grease!
Insure your ring as soon as possible, it does not pay to waste time. Whether the purchaser plans to propose next week or next month, it’s best to have the ring covered as soon as you know the value. Many homeowners and renters insurance policies will offer an extension that covers an engagement ring; alternatively, you can seek out an independent insurer.
3. Routine Appraisal
Every five years or so, we would recommend that you have your ring professionally appraised. Your insurance company will typically increase the insured value every year (by some inflation factor), so check to make sure you are insured for the right amount should anything happen to your ring.
4. Cleaning at Home
How often to clean you ring: Clean your engagement ring at home every few weeks. Be sure to clean your ring more frequently if you are wear the ring all day, every day without breaks from tasks (such as dishwashing or applying lotion).
Cleaning your ring regularly will avoid the diamond becoming dull or dark in color and enhance the sparkle.
How to clean your ring at home: Always avoid harsh chemicals that can damage precious metals or gemstones. Instead, soak the ring in a solution of warm water and dish soap for 30-45 minutes, then rinse and gently scrub with a soft bristled brush. An important step to note is to always plug your drain before rinsing! Dry with a soft cloth or allow to air dry.
You can also purchase diamond dazzle sticks or ultrasonic jewelry cleaners online.
5. Professional Cleaning and Inspection
We would recommend that you take your ring to a jeweler to be professionally cleaned every six months. In addition to getting a thorough cleaning, this is a great opportunity to have your jewelry inspected for any loose stones or prongs that prevents future loss.
By following these steps, you’re sure to keep your ring safe and sparkling for many years to come.
How To Sell Luxury Jewelry, Bags, Sneakers And Watches
You love your engagement ring, but if you have any pieces in your jewelry box, watches or handbags you are looking to part with, myGemma is here to help.
Established by industry veterans in NYC, myGemma was created in response to a lack of viable options for selling luxury items. With offices throughout the world, we work with hundreds of customers on a daily basis. We pair each customer with a dedicated client services representative to work with throughout the whole process and to answer any questions you may have.
- What we buy: We purchase your luxury items directly, from Rolex watches to Birkin handbags to Cartier Love bracelets
- Speed of service: Our process is designed to take as little as 24 hours from start to finish
- Honest prices: We believe in honest price quotes and a luxury selling experience. There are no fees or commissions deducted from your final offer, the price we offer the amount you get paid
- Reputable luxury buyer: As an A+ BBB buyer with over 1,000 customer reviews, myGemma was established in 2012 as the modern and professional alternative to pawnbrokers, auction houses and online listings
- Luxury experts: our team of GIA trained gemologists, luxury watch and handbag experts have the necessary knowledge and experience of the second-hand luxury market to make strong offers
How it works
To receive your free price quote, click the button below to fill out our online form and our experts will be in touch. If you would then like to receive a final price, we can either schedule an appointment (NYC, Tokyo, Hong Kong or the UK) or provide you with free, fully insured shipping.
If you accept our final price we will get you paid by wire or check. If you refuse our final offer, there is never any obligation to sell and we return your items free of charge.