From Jackie Kennedy’s 40.42-carat diamond to Kim Kardashian’s stolen ring, take a look below at the top 10 most expensive celebrity engagement rings.
Top 10 Most Expensive Celebrity Engagement Rings
- Mariah Carey & James Packer - $10 million
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West - $10 million
- Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton - $8.8 million
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West - $8 million
- Beyoncé & Jay-Z - $5 million
- Paris Hilton & Paris Latsis - $4.7 million
- Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony - $4.1 million
- Grace Kelly & Prince Rainier II of Monaco - $4.06 million
- Vanessa Bryant & Kobe Bryant - $4 million
- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis & Aristotle Onassis - $2.6 million
10. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis & Aristotle Onassis - $2.6 million
Jackie Kennedy’s 40.42-carat Harry Winston diamond is the third-largest gem cut from the famous 601-carat Lesotho rough diamond. In 1996, the ring sold at Jackie Kennedy’s estate auction for $2.6 million. Also known as the Lesotho III, it was given to Jackie in 1968 by Aristotle Onassis, a Greek shipping mogul. Due to the size and value of the diamond ring, Jackie reportedly only wore the ring twice before storing it in a safe. The diamond was a marquise-cut, VS2 clarity and L color stone.
9. Vanessa Bryant & Kobe Bryant - $4 million
In 2003, Kobe Bryant presented Vanessa Bryant with a purple, 8-carat engagement ring valued at $4 million. Dubbed the 'apology ring', Kobe bought the ring after a high profile criminal case in which he was found guilty. Despite their many ups and downs, the couple are still together to this day.
8. Grace Kelly & Prince Rainier II of Monaco - $4.06 million
Film star Grace Kelly met Prince Rainier II of Monaco at a 1955 photo shoot at the Cannes Film Festival, marking the beginning of one of the most famous love stories. Prince Rainier proposed to Kelly with a beautiful Cartier ring made up of a 10.47-carat emerald-cut diamond surrounded by two baguettes. A legendary style icon, Grace Kelly's elegant engagement ring featured in the movie High Society.
7. Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony - $4.1 million
Though Jennifer Lopez’s 6 carat pink diamond ring from ex-fiancé Ben Affleck made headlines in the early 2000s, Marc Anthony was able to top that proposal with an even more expensive 8.5 carat blue diamond ring. Colored diamonds are incredibly rare, more so than white diamonds.
6. Paris Hilton & Paris Latsis - $4.7 million
Though the engagement dissolved after 4 months, Paris Latsis gave Paris Hilton a 24 carat, $4.7 million engagement ring. Paris reportedly said that the ring was so large that it hurt her finger. After their separation, Hilton auctioned off the ring to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
5. Beyoncé & Jay-Z - $5 million
Jeweler Lorraine Schwartz created this 18 carat emerald-cut diamond ring for Jay-Z’s proposal to Beyoncé. The two ultimately married in a private wedding in Manhattan in 2008. With a split shank, this large $5 million diamond ring is a bold, statement piece.
4. Kim Kardashian & Kanye West - $8 million
Kim's engagement rings have been heavily publicized, especially after the upgraded diamond ring was later stolen in Paris. Kanye West initially proposed to Kim Kardashian with a 15 carat, cushion-cut, D color, flawless diamond from Lorraine Schwartz and was heavily involved in the design process. He later gave her a second diamond ring that was stolen shortly after in 2016.
3. Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton - $8.8 million
One of the most famous diamonds on our list is Elizabeth Taylor’s Krupp Diamond, given to her by Richard Burton in 1968. The Krupp Diamond is a 33.19 carat, D color, VS1 clarity, asscher-cut diamond. Burton purchased the ring at auction and presented it to Elizabeth Taylor on a yacht in London. She loved the ring so much that she frequently wore it in movies she acted in. This legendary diamond sold at Taylor’s estate auction in 2011 for $8.8 million, breaking the existing price per carat record in the process.
2. Kim Kardashian & Kanye West - $10 million
In 2016, Kanye West upgraded his wife’s engagement ring with a 20-carat, emerald-cut Lorraine Schwartz ring, engraved with the word “Adidas” on the inside to celebrate West’s recent Adidas deal. Just a few months after Kim’s receiving the ring, the ring was stolen from her at gunpoint in a Paris heist.
1. Mariah Carey & James Packer - $10 million
The most expensive celebrity engagement ring on our list is Mariah Carey’s enormous 35 carat emerald-cut ring from billionaire fiancé James Packer. The ring was created by New York jeweler Wilfredo Rosado, who designed the ring to be as large and extravagant as possible. Mariah joked that the ring was so heavy, she struggled to lift her arm. The couple later went on to end their relationship in 2016.
What Makes Engagement Rings So Expensive?
Having reviewed the top most expensive celebrity engagement rings, you may be left wondering, what exactly makes these engagement rings so expensive? The bulk of the value of an engagement ring comes from the largest stone on the ring. The primary factors that determine how much an engagement ring is worth are:
- Carat weight
- Color grade
- Cut grade
- Clarity grade
These factors all work in combination to determine the ultimate value of an engagement ring. To find out how much your engagement ring is worth, click the button below and we will be in touch shortly with a quote.
How To Sell Or Upgrade Your Engagement Ring Online
If you are interested in selling or upgrading your engagement ring, we provide a quick 4 step process:
- Fill out the online form
- One of our in-house diamond experts will be in touch shortly with an initial price quote
- Send your item in (free shipping & insurance) or schedule an appointment to receive a final price
- Get paid by check or wire or receive up to 20% more on your offer in the form of store credit with one our partners
myGemma offers a quick, secure service for selling your diamonds, designer jewelry, and luxury watches. Sell discreetly online or via appointment and get the best price for your engagement ring.