How to Spot Fake Hermes Jewelry
From branding hallmarks, luxury materials and defining collection characteristics, you will be able to spot fake Hermes jewelry in no time.
The French luxury brand Hermes has made it mark on the luxury landscape thanks to their timeless jewelry, exclusive leather bags and captivating accessories. Due to their prestige and high market demand, there are countless fake Hermes pieces on the market. To save yourself from accidentally buying a fake Hermes, we will share some tips on how to spot real Hermes jewelry. From branding hallmarks, luxury materials and defining collection characteristics, you will be able to spot fake Hermes jewelry in no time.
How To Spot Fake Hermes Jewelry
Real Hermes Stamps
- The printing on all Hermes jewelry will be correctly spelled, legible and evenly spaced.
Real Hermes Dating System
Just like with their bags, all Hermes jewelry have specific stamps which date the piece. From 1946 to 2015, Hermes adorned the interior of their jewelry with a single letter code to indicate the year that the piece was made:
- 1946 – 1970, printed with a single capital letter
- 1971 – 1996, printed with a capital letter inside a circle
- 1997 – 2015, printed with a capital letter inside a square
- Additionally, the interior of enamel jewelry will either be printed with “Made in Austria” if made before 2010 or “Made in France” if made after that year.
- If you see vintage Hermes jewelry with modern hallmarks, this is a big red flag and you should stay away.
Of all Hermes jewelry, the most counterfeited pieces are the Clic Clac H and leather Collier de Chien bracelets. Below are our top tips to distinguish commonly counterfeited Hermes jewelry.
How To Spot A Fake Hermes Clic Clac H Bracelet
- Authentic Clic Clac H bracelets come in three sizes: narrow (simply called Clic H), wide and extra wide.
- Real Clic Clac H bracelets have an ergonomic oval shape while fakes are often round.
- Genuine Clic Clac H bracelets come in three metals: rose gold, yellow gold as well as silver and palladium plated with a smooth finish.
- Real Clic Clac H bracelets are made with a solid piece of scratch resistant enamel while fakes typically use plastic or resin in its place which can scratch.
- Authentic Clic Clac H bracelets have its metal and enamel components constructed separately and later attached. The enamel will have rounded ends that are not flush against the metal.
- The H clasp should always feel smooth while opening and closing the bracelet.
- Counterfeit Clic Clac H bracelets typically have wide H clasps.
- The interior of the bracelet will have “HERMÈS” printed as well as a code to match Hermes’ official dating system on the hinge.
How To Spot A Fake Hermes Leather Collier de Chien Bracelet
- Genuine leather Collier de Chien bracelets are made with calfskin, lizard or alligator skin.
- The inside of the bracelet will be printed with Hermes’ nomenclature to indicate the leather used as well as a dating code.
- The interior of the bracelet will be stamped with “HERMÈS PARIS” with select pieces featuring foil stamping.
- Authentic Collier de Chien bracelets are meticulously hand stitched with no loose ends.
- The metal on the bracelet is made with palladium or gold plating.
- Real Collier de Chien bracelets have their hardware well affixed to the leather.
- The O ring which hangs from the hardware should be closely secured with no visible gasps. Authentic O rings are also a smooth, continuous piece of metal with no visible seam.
- Genuine Collier de Chien bracelets O rings should be able to spin and move freely, while fakes commonly have rigid O rings.
Where To Buy Real Hermes Jewelry
To save yourself from having to meticulously analyze second-hand Hermes jewelry for their authenticity, myGemma is here to help. We are committed to the recycling of luxury jewelry by selling genuine, pre-owned designer jewelry. Our luxury jewelry team made up of industry experts ensure that all of our jewelry is authentic and in excellent condition.
Shopping for luxury jewelry has never been more enjoyable or affordable with myGemma. Browse our wide selection of genuine luxury jewelry from brands such as Hermes, Tiffany & Co. and Chopard at up to 80% off retail prices. With our outstanding savings, easy monthly payments with our partner Affirm and free US shipping, shop luxuriously without overpaying.