While the question 'who gets to keep the ring?' after a broken engagement or divorce is probably not at the forefront of your mind following a breakup, it is a practical question to address when the time is right.
myGemma is here to answer the question, and make the process easier for you.
Who Gets To Keep The Ring After Divorce Or Once An Engagement Is Broken?
The laws as to who gets to keep the ring vary by circumstance and state.
myGemma spoke to a family law professional in each US state in 2017, to see a state-by-state breakdown of who gets to keep the ring.
Map Of The USA
Table Of The Laws In Each US State On Who Gets To Keep The Ring
While in some US states, engagement rings are considered conditional gifts, in others, it is considered an unconditional gift.
In some US states, it will depend on if the wedding is called off and by whom. It may also depend on whether you live in a fault-based divorce state, if you had a prenuptial agreement in place or if the ring was a family heirloom.
The bottom line is that we the information provided in this report should be used as a guideline. We always recommend seeking legal advice if you have any doubts about your rights when it comes to selling or returning the ring.
How To Sell Engagement Ring
At myGemma, we provide a convenient and streamlined way to sell your engagement ring or designer wedding bands that can take as little as 24 hours from start to finish.
- Receive a price quote: Simply fill out the online form to get started. Your dedicated client representative will be in touch shortly with your bespoke price quote.
- Choose how to sell: Schedule an appointment or request our free, fully insured shipping labels to send your items in for a final price.
- Receive a firm offer: Once our gemologists have inspected your jewelry in person, we will provide a final price.
Payment can be accepted by:
- In-store credit for an increased amount
- Should you choose not to accept the offer, we return your items free of charge
Why Sell Engagement Rings To myGemma?
We believe that the process of selling an engagement ring or designer wedding band should be professional and stress-free. As such, we pride ourselves on offering unparalleled customer service, transparent, honest and strong prices.
There is no cost for our service, commissions or fees deducted from our final price. The amount we tell you is the amount you will receive.
Unlike many traditional gold and diamond buyers, we do not haggle or employ high sales pressure tactics. Finally, we buy your luxury jewelry, watches, handbags and sneakers directly, there is no waiting for us to sell your pieces on your behalf.