As a premier luxury watchmaker, Patek Philippe is celebrated by everyone from watch novices to the most astute of watch enthusiasts. With over 180 years of masterful watchmaking experience, Patek Philippe has been constantly raising the bar of luxury watchmaking standards. Due to their extremely limited production, coupled with the high demand and high value of their watches, there are unfortunately many fake Patek Philippe watches on that market that can deceive the average buyer. Keep reading as our luxury watch experts outline everything you need to know to spot a fake Patek Philippe from a real one.
How to Spot a Fake Patek Philippe Watch
While each collection has their own signature features, below are general characteristics that will help you distinguish and spot a fake Patek Philippe watch over a real one across all collections.
- It is not an exaggeration to say that everything printed on a genuine Patek Philippe dial should be perfect, even under extreme magnification. Patek Philippe watches are renowned for their absolute perfection in all aspects of the watch, making it easier to spot a fake Patek Phillippe. Authentic Patek Philippe watches will be have crisp and evenly spaced printing, free from misspellings.
- Apart from skeletonized models, real Patek Philippe watches do not have a visible tourbillon or balance wheels on the dial.
- All modern Patek Philippe watches use sapphire crystals.
- Models with luminescent coating, such as the Aquanaut and Nautilus, should have even luminescent consistency when viewed in the dark.
- Authentic Patek Philippe watches have a solid weight to them while fakes feel lighter as they are often made with lesser quality materials.
- Genuine Patek Philippe cases are made with stainless steel, platinum or 18k gold.
- With the exception of select limited-edition watches, Patek Philippe case backs do not have engravings or decorations.
- Patek Philippe watches with solid case backs have their serial and model numbers printed inside the case, while watches with exhibition backs have their serial and model numbers printed around the interior edges.
- Newer Patek Philippe watches have “PPC” printed on the lugs as well the case’s respective metal such as Au750 for 18k gold and Pt950 for platinum.
- Genuine Patek Philippe bracelets come in 18k gold and platinum while straps are available in leather, stain or a special composite material (exclusively for the Aquanaut).
- Bracelets are printed with a model number specific to their watch’s series.
- Authentic Patek Philippe straps have the Calatrava Cross and Patek Philippe logo printed on the inside.
- Buckles are printed with the Patek Philippe logo and their respective metals.
- All deployment clasps feature the Calatrava Cross.
- All movements have superb hand-finishing with crisp engravings.
- Depending on the watch’s age, the movement will be adorned with the Geneva Seal or Patek Philippe Seal. As of 2009, Patek Philippe announced that their watches would exclusively feature their own branded seal.
- Where to buy real, pre-owned Patek Philippe watches
To ensure that you always buy an authentic Patek Philippe watch, it is important to work with the experts. At myGemma, our team of luxury watch professionals have decades of experience in the watch industry and authenticate all of our Patek Philippe watches. We carry a wide assortment of pre-owned luxury watches including Patek Philippe, Rolex and IWC at up to 80% off retail prices. With our affordable monthly payments through our partner Affirm, A+ BBB rating and free US shipping, your next favorite watch is just a click away.
Browse our authenticated Patek Philippe watches at exceptional prices.